Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Christmas Eve @ the Elggren's

Christmas Eve continues to be one of my favorite days of the year. I know it's become Matt's too and my kids are young so they love it! There's nothing better than the excitement and anticipation of that night and what's to come in the morningWe gathered with all of my family at my Mom and Dad's early that afternoon. Everyone was there except Dan and Staci and boy did we miss them (hey made up for not being there by sending a message written on the back of a puzzle, once the puzzle was put together it was turned over and announced that they would be expecting their first baby in July....YEA!)!! I loved watching the kids run to the tree as soon as we got there to scope out which gift belonged to them so they could keep close tabs on it throughout the afternoon. I remember doing that like it was just last year....ok, maybe it was :). Anyway, we had some great food and then gathered together for a little program and talent show. Any of the kids (or adults) who had something they wanted to do got a chance to get up and impress us all. Joe did a great job doing his Michael Jackson Billy Jean dance (it was just as great as his Napoleon Dynamite from last year) and all the kids did a fabulous job.
Then we moved on to the reading of the Bible and the account of Christ's birth. There were so many cute kids willing to participate that we did 2 different casts. Mia was Mary in cast #2 and took her role VERY seriously, stroking the baby Jesus' hair and rocking him while we sang Silent Night. She was deep in character. Mason played a shepherd in both casts and did a great job! Madden was happy being a spectator with Matt and I. It was lots of fun.
Of course then we have a family prayer and move on to opening presents. I remember when I was young and my Grandpa would give that prayer. I tried so hard to be patient and reverent but I knew what was coming next and I had waited for it for WEEKS!!! Each of us were given a box of our favorite cereal from Grandma and Grandpa to start with. That's turned into such a fun tradition. The kids were given a gift from one of their cousins and boy did our cousins do a great job!! Everyone was so happy.
Then the adults exchanged gifts to each other and to Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad in turn gave each of the kids and us couples a very nice gift.
We always come away so spoiled! Thanks Celeste and Shaun for the Macaroni Grill GC, Mom and Dad for the basket full of amazing gifts, for all the cute things my kids got and most of all for everyone in our family who makes life so GREAT!!

No comments: