Wednesday, September 30, 2009

NOOOOOOOO!

How is it possible to be so completely unprepared for something you KNOW is coming? I know that summer's over. It hasn't gone unnoticed that it gets dark earlier. That it's still dark when my alarm goes off. I know this time of year has been coming. I understand this is how it works but I tell ya, mentally I'm FIGHTING it!!!

I tried to mentally prepare for the 40 degree drop from yesterday to today. I got the kids jackets out last night so they would have them this morning. I pulled out the sweat pants and fuzzy socks for me to wear while getting the kids out the door. I tried the power of positive thinking: "Look at all the clothes I get to pull out of the closet that I haven't seen in months. This can be fun!" It's not working.

Did you know it snowed in the mountains today? That you couldn't even see the mountains, AT ALL?! Did you notice the sky was dark at 7:30pm? Did you notice your tan line fading a bit more? Did you notice there were no kids outside riding bikes? Well it's true. All of it.

Today I decided again (for the 4000th time) that summer is my favorite season. I love that the nights are warm. That the sky stays light until 9:30 and at moments even until 10:00. I love the smell of sunscreen on my kids. The heat. The sounds of kids playing outside late in the evening because it's finally cool enough to be out there. I love that my kids don't have homework and we can sleep in until 8 (or maybe later) if we want to. There's so much I love and so much I'm not ready to let go of yet. It looks however, like I have no choice.

So it's a good thing the snow stayed up in the mountains today. If there were enough on my front lawn to build a snowman today, I'd head right out, and smack in the middle of my front yard I'd build a GINORMOUS hand.....with the middle finger sticking straight up!



side note: give me time, I'll come to grips with it soon.

3 comments:

Matt and Kirsten said...

Awesome! I want to see your snow hand when it is all done - do post a picture of it. Nicely said!

Ruth Done said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teachinfourth said...

The great thing about the snow is knowing that Christmas will soon be here, and then the snow will leave us. After that, summer will return in all it's glory.

I agree though, if you do every build your 'snow hand' you'll need to post a photo...