Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cooking Post....my style

A couple of the blogs I follow are awesome enough to do "cooking posts". In other words, they describe in perfect detail how to prepare a dish right off the screen of Iron Chef America or Barefoot Contessa. These posts are complete with amazing pictures of the plated dish as you would see in the finest restaurants. I'm fascinated. Regular people eat like this? At home? Although reading these posts can make me feel like an underachiever I'm a freak for the artistic way food is served and how beautiful it looks when it's on a fancy-smancy plate. I LOVE IT!
I however don't cook this way. I wish my kids had "Swordfish, seared, served over arugula with vinaigrette, topped with roasted roma's, and finished with a lemony rich hollandais." (seriously this is one of the latest). However, since their first introduction to "fish" of any kind was tuna, it continues to invoke gagging and eye watering. (Maybe I could give swordfish a try and tell them it's chicken.) Speaking of chicken, here's my version of a cooking post complete with a picture:
A while back I made Malibu Chicken. Yes folks you heard that right, Malibu Chicken. Straight from the pages of your local Sizzler. Really you could say I only made chicken patties since Matt and I are the only ones who like the ham and swiss on top.

Instructions: Cook chicken patties as directed on package. Then add ham slices on patty and top with swiss cheese. Return to oven and heat until cheese is melted. Serve with a mixture of mayo and mustard as a dipping sauce. Alt: if you or your kids don't like ham and swiss on top, cut the cooked patty into pieces and serve. This is my way of cooking.
When I made this I was emptying the bag of patties onto the tray and found that there was an extra "smaller portion" of a patty. This seemed a little odd so I decided to read on the package and see how many patties were suppose to be in it. You know, in case I got jipped out of a full-size patty that I paid for and maybe I could write into TYSON Foods and get a freebie or something. Follow me? So I turned over the package and when I read the back I BURST out laughing.

Serving size: 1 patty
Servings per container: About 9
It really said "about 9". Now go ahead, look at the picture and count for yourself. Literally! There's "ABOUT 9"!!!!! I found this HILARIOUS and still do! Don't you think Tyson's is taking this too literally? I picture in my head the factory realizing that they have a whole bunch of pieces of patties and don't want to waste them. Sone one says, "Let's change the packaging to read Serving Size: About 9 and throw one of these pieces in with each 8 count bag." And someone else saying "Brilliant!!"......Cut to a few weeks down the road and the Thompson family is having Malibu Chicken with not 8, but about 9 chicken patties. Ok, I still find this sooooo funny!
Now where was I going with this? Oh yeah...this is the way I cook. It's a meal we have every so often but seems to be getting less popular. The last time we had it Mason informed me that he doesn't like the chicken because of the "little hard pieces" and "poppy things" in it. EEWWWW, but true! I feel the same way. So we probably won't be having Malibu Chicken again anytime soon. At least until I can find some patties without the "poppy things" or until we have about 1 dinner guest joining us.

3 comments:

Ruth Done said...

Okay, Seriously, that is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

Amber said...

Ape that is so funny. You are hilarious. I cook the same way. I'm afraid my kids wouldn't eat the fancy pancy stuff anyway. Love the picture.

The Rockin Robertsons said...

LOL! April you are cracking me up...I am laughing so hard. That is hilarious! LOVE IT!