Monday, April 27, 2009

Moments

I had a moment yesterday. Small and fleeting but a moment all the same.
I was driving home from my Mom's in the early afternoon yesterday with Mason and Mia. We had gone for a short visit just to say hi. The kids had played outside and picked a handful of flowers (and dandelions) that grandma put in a vase and displayed proudly. They were so proud of themselves.
Anyway, on the way home they were chatting peacefully in the backseat. After a few minutes I noticed that it had gotten quiet back there. I glanced back and saw Mia with her head down on Mason's shoulder and Mason's head tilted and resting on Mia's head. They were both content and calm. It was then that the thought came to me, they really are good friends. They really do love each other. They're going to end up always loving each other.
Isn't that what we ultimately want? In spite of the fighting and tattling don't we long for our kids to love each other? Don't we want them to like each other enough to be friends? Really friends! To watch out for one another? To be their safeguard? That's what I want. And for a brief moment yesterday I caught a glimpse of how that might be.

2 comments:

Ruth Done said...

I love that we are such good friends with our siblings, but I have always wondered how I teach my children to be this way. It turns out that they teach themselves. So cute!

Matt and Kirsten said...

That is truly priceless. I need to know how you teach that. There is nothing more important to me than the friendships within our family - they are the only ones that really last through each stage.