Friday, October 5, 2012

Happy Ninth Birthday!

Maybe I should change the title of this blog to Thompson Birthday Blog.  That's pretty much all I've posted this year are birthday posts.  Keeping in tradition, here's another one :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIA!
Nine.  It slipped right in without me even noticing.  Eight was just a few minutes ago.
I was thinking last night about the morning you were born.  You were beautiful and still are!   In my mind I've always been excited to develop that mother-daughter relationship.  Shoes, hair, make up, clothes.  Staying up late talking about the day's events, and when the time comes, staying up late to talk about boys.  All those awesome girly things! 
What I didn't figure in was how I'm exhausted by the time you go to bed and a heartfelt conversation seems impossible some nights.  So I send you to bed with a hug and a kiss and a missed opportunity to make a deeper connection.
  Or how my heart would ache when you learn about the hard parts of  friendship or feel left out.  
How I would feel frustration in those moments of teaching you how to treat others.  
What it would feel like to take you shopping and have you pick out things that my sense of style doesn't really connect with.
Yes, things are a bit different then they were planned in my head the day you were born.
I also didn't figure in how happy I would be the first time you said my name.
How proud I am when you stick up for someone who's being treated unfairly.
How much I love how organized your brain is & how you play with your toys EXACTLY how I would.
How much I love that you love Heavenly Father & Jesus.
How happy you make me just by walking in the door after school because I miss having you around.
I didn't realize how much I would love the person you are more than the person I thought I wanted to mold you into. 
I'm very lucky to have the chance to be your Mom.  I love you and can't wait to see what you have to teach me in the years to come.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL GIRL!

2 comments:

Dan & Staci said...

Happy Birthday Mia! I love your new haircut it looks so beautiful! I can't believe how fast you are all growing. We love you and miss you lots!

Matt and Kirsten said...

I really love seeing your birthday posts! you are a great writer! Mia is so beautiful i have thought that from day 1. Love you!