Monday, July 6, 2009

Nicknames


Posts without pictures are boring, huh? So I've added one that has nothing to do with what I'm writing about but it's people I love and that's good enough for me.

I saw one of my sisters friends on the 4th of July who I refer to as Jennyann even though her name is just Jen. I know one day I heard her jokingly being referred to by Kirsten as Jennyann and well, it stuck. She told me if she hears someone call her Jennyann, she knows immediately it's an Elggren. We must beat a nickname like a dead horse!

This got me thinking about nicknames. Do you have one? Do you have one for the people you love (and maybe some you love a little less)? I've realized that our family is big into nicknames. I don't know if we even realize it but we are. I think there's a nickname for almost all my siblings, some I know where they came from, some I don't and some are just a shortened version of our names. It doesn't really matter, we all use them.
Matt is Mattie (I have a few more for him but those are just for me ;) )

Celeste is Lestie (this was started by my Grandma Rigby but I don't know why or how)

Brad is Brother

I'm Ape

Amber is Ber

Russell is Russ

Danny is Dan or Stan (this is combining Dan & Staci's names. It makes referring to the couple a bit easier)

Kirsten is Kris (because she HATES it when people call her Kristen instead of Kirsten so we shortened it up and just call her Kris)

Ruth is Reese or Reesie

Joe is Jose, Homie or Jiff (the last is combining Joe and Tiff's names as well)

Mason is Mavis (also from Grandma Rigby. I'm the only one who still can't let this one go)

Mia is Mia-moo (we are phasing this one out as to avoid too much therapy)

Madden is Mad-dawg

Brennan was Bubbers (this one has pretty much warn off, much to his relief I'm sure)

Ashton is Ashtie

McKay is Mac or Mac n Cheese

I could go on and on....


My mom's family has nicknames for all of her Aunts. None of them were called by their real name. It wasn't until I was older that I realized Denny, Dutsie & Toppy weren't their actual names. They were Lucy, Annie & Margaret.
If it were me, I'd prefer my real name. I wonder if they had a choice? Probably not, we don't give anyone in our family the choice, it just sticks.

2 comments:

Ruth Done said...

Dang little She! That has to be one of the best ones. Great post

Matt and Kirsten said...

Did you mention WEWE - my all time favorite, only because it isn't mine, I don't know how I would feel if thats what my peers called me. Now you made me wonder - does it bother others when I call them by their nick name?